walnut hill elementary
Modern Mile Dallas is a non-profit corporate organization and we have identified Walnut Hill Elementary School as beneficiary of the tour proceeds. Under the leadership of principal, R Chase McLaurin, WHE has used the funds to improve the interior courtyard of the school. The New Courtyard, designed by Bill Bibb of Archiverde LLC, is now being utilized as an outdoor play and learning space. Features of the courtyard include ADA compliant access, new drainage and irrigation system, turf ground cover for classroom time, new concrete walkways, a quiet space for the Autism program and a butterfly garden for the children to enjoy.
Additional needs that the tour has also been able to fund:
- Wooden deck with benches in courtyard (in progress)
- New wooden blinds for classrooms throughout the school
Future needs the school has noted :
- Courtyard maintenance
- Blackout shades/draperies for Library and Auditorium
- Shade/cover for playground area
- Pre-school playground equipment
- and so much more!
Did you know these facts about WHE?
- #1 "Excelling School" in Dallas based on the new Dallas ISD School Performance Framework
- 2017: surpassed all state standards and earn 6 out of 6 Academic Distinctions from TEA.
- One of only 400 schools in the state of Texas to receive all of the Academic Distinctions from TEA.
- 2016 & 2017 Gold Ribbon School and an A rating from Children At Risk
- 2016 Texas Education Agency Rating: Letter grade A with 5 Academic Distinctions
- 2015-2016 Gold Metal School of Character
- 2015 Texas Education Agency Title 1 Reward School Awards for Student Progress and Student Achievement
- 2015 National Excellence in Urban Education Award(1 of 24 school in the nation to receive this award)
- 2012-2017 Exemplary Gifted & Talented Program
- Recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education
- Music Memory Competition Winners
- Award winning Two-Way Dual Language Spanish Immersion Program